Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some of the ones we're most often asked.
Bertolli Olive Oil
- How long can I keep my Bertolli Olive Oil once it’s opened?Click to show answer
If stored in a tightly capped container in a cool dry area away from light, the following is a guide as to how long you can store your olive oil:
Classico, and Extra Light Tasting - 20 months. :
Extra Virgin - (all types) 17 months:
Your best guide to freshness is simply to smell and taste the product.
- Is there gluten in your olive oils?Click to show answer
There is no gluten in our olive oils. They are 100% olive oil.
- Is the Olive Oil still edible when it looks cloudy or white?Click to show answer
Yes, cloudiness is a natural effect due to exposure to low temperature, below around 10°F/50°C. However the olive oil won't lose any of its qualities even when exposed to low temperatures. During wintertime you can often notice this effect, even on the shelves of your supermarket. It gets clear again after some time at room temperature.
- What is meant by the Best if Used By Date on the container of Olive Oil? Is this an actual expiration date?Click to show answer
The date is read Month, Day and Year. (Example: May 12, 04). This is the date that assures that the product's optimum and consistent quality. It will generally maintain good quality for several months after that date. Your best guide to freshness is simply to smell and taste the product. (Note the recommended storage time for each variety: Classico, and Extra Light - 20 months. Extra Virgin - (all types) 17 months).
- Are Bertolli Olive Oils Kosher?Click to show answer
Yes, all Bertolli Olive Oils are Kosher (OU) and pareve.
- Can you suggest how to use the different types of Bertolli Olive Oil?Click to show answer
Generally, choosing Olive Oil is a personal choice depending on your particular taste. However, here are some general guidelines in choosing a specific Bertolli Olive Oil:
Bertolli Extra Virgin – A great full-bodied Olive Oil. Use whenever prominent, full-bodied taste and aroma is desired; for salads; in pasta, rice and vegetable dishes; for basting meats, fish and poultry; as seasoning for soup; and as base for sauces and marinades and for dipping.
Bertolli Classico:A smooth, mild-flavored olive oil that can be used for sauteing and stir frying, salad dressings and pasta sauces, as well as to complement meats, poultry and vegetables.
Bertolli Extra Light Tasting: Extremely light flavor – Can be used for all types of cooking, including baking; excellent for stir frying and sauteing, even deep frying.
- Does olive oil contain cholesterol?Click to show answer
Olive oil is cholesterol free, unlike animal fats.
- Can you send me a list of Bertolli Sauces which are gluten free?Click to show answer
Ingredients that may contain gluten are always listed on the label. Since product formulations change from time to time, we do not have a printed list of products that identifies those products that contain specific allergens or gluten. The best advice we can give you is to check the ingredient list on the label. If you cannot determine whether the product contains the ingredient in question, we suggest you do not use it.
- Can you send me some coupons or samples for Bertolli?Click to show answer
Occasionally we offer coupons and samples on our website. In addition, we invite you to sign up at Making Life Better to receive other member’s only benefits and special offers for a variety of Unilever brands such as Dove, Lipton, Suave and many more.
Please note that we cannot be responsible for coupons or offers that are found on websites other than official Unilever websites.
- How long can I safely store an opened jar of pasta sauce in the refrigerator?Click to show answer
Tomato Sauces can remain in the refrigerator for about 10 days. Our Cheese based Sauces can remain in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
- Is the date on the cap of my Bertolli Sauce an actual expiration date?Click to show answer
Quality is always a priority at Bertolli. In order to enjoy your sauces at their optimum quality and freshness, we encourage you to use your sauce by the date on the cap.
- Do Bertolli sauces contain MSG?Click to show answer
If MSG is present in a product either directly added or as a component of another ingredient, it will be listed on the label as MSG or monosodium glutamate. It is never hidden under any other ingredient listing.
- Can I freeze my Bertolli sauces?Click to show answer
You may freeze unused portions of the Bertolli tomato sauces in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. For the cheese based sauces, freezing is not recommended.
- Are Bertolli sauces Kosher?Click to show answer
No, Bertolli sauces are not Kosher.
- Are there any trans fats in your products?Click to show answer
If trans fat is present in a product, you will find the amount per serving listed on the Nutrition Facts panel on each package.
- Where can I get Bertolli recipes?Click to show answer
You can find some great recipes as well as a wealth of information on our products right here on our website. In addition, you may send us an email requesting printed recipes which we will be happy to send. To request your recipes by email, click here
- How can I find out about the latest promotions from Bertolli?Click to show answer
Current promotions can be found on the home page of this web site. Or you can simply CLICK HERE . Also we frequently run promotions through newspapers, so be sure to check the weekly circulars for upcoming promotions as well.
- What is the approximate amount of pasta to use for your sauces?Click to show answer
For Cheese based sauces – (17 oz. Jar) - Use approximately 3/4 lb. (12 oz.) of pasta For Red Sauces - (24 oz. Jar) Use approximately 1 lb. of pasta
- At what temperature should pasta sauce be served?Click to show answer
To enjoy Bertolli Sauces at their maximum fresh flavor, it's best to bring them to a simmer on the stove top before serving over cooked pasta.
- How can I obtain Sponsorship or Funding from Unilever?Click to show answer
Thank you for contacting Unilever with your request for support.
While we have been pleased to provide support to numerous worthy causes for many years through both donations and sponsorships, our charitable funding, which is provided through the Unilever United States Foundation, Inc., has evolved in alignment with Unilever’s global charitable giving program.
Unilever now focuses its giving on enriching the quality of life through the provision of hygiene, sanitation, access to safe drinking water, basic nutrition and improving self esteem. Unilever has identified five global partners with which it works in order to deliver on this mission. We are also supporting two U.S. based organizations that are aligned with the Foundation’s mission.
Additionally, the guidelines for the Unilever United States Foundation, Inc. preclude the use of financial grants for sponsorships, events, dinners or goodwill advertising.
We are unable to accommodate your request and extend our best wishes for success in your undertakings.
To learn more about The Unilever Foundation, please CLICK HERE.
- How can I share my great idea for a recipe with Bertolli?Click to show answer
For information on submitting ideas, please CLICK HERE
- Where is the best place to buy my favorite varieties of Bertolli sauce?Click to show answer
Most or our products are available on a national basis. This means current products can be made available to any store wishing to carry them. Although we would like each of our products to be available in all stores, shelf space and consumer demand sometimes limit the number of items a retailer is willing to carry. If you are unable to find a certain variety, please try our item locator which can help you locate a nearby store. Just click here
If you are still unable to locate your product, please call our toll-free Consumer Services number at 1-800-450-8699 -Monday – Friday 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM Eastern time where we can further assist you. Many of our sauces are now available though the mail
- How can I obtain donations from Unilever?Click to show answer
Thank you for contacting us about a Unilever product donation.
As you can imagine, we receive thousands of requests for products throughout the year from many worthy organizations. Rather than reply to individual appeals, we have made the decision to provide product regularly to two not-for-profit organizations - Feeding America and Feed the Children - for distribution to relevant food banks and other qualified agencies that service needy members of our communities across the United States.
Although we would like to support all the commendable causes that are brought to our attention, we simply are unable to do so, and will not be able to accommodate your request at this time.
Thank you for the opportunity to explain. We wish you and your organization much success.
- I’ve noticed that some of the bags are puffy when I take them from the freezer. Should I be concerned?Click to show answer
During packaging of the product, some air is incorporated into the bag. The air in the bag helps to define the shape of the bag on the shelf and presents no safety issue.
- Is there MSG in your Bertolli Frozen products?Click to show answer
If MSG is present in a product either directly added or as a component of another ingredient, it will be listed on the label as MSG or monosodium glutamate.
- How long can I keep my Bertolli Frozen products in the freezer?Click to show answer
There is a “Best When Used By Date” printed on the side fold of the bag. This is the date that assures the product’s optimum freshness and quality.
- How do I cook Bertolli Frozen products?Click to show answer
We recommend always following the directions on your package. You can use the skillet directions, conventional oven directions or those using a microwave.
- How do I cook two bags at once?Click to show answer
We suggest cooking each bag individually in its own skillet to allow enough space in the skillet for stirring. We do not recommend heating more than one bag in the same skillet at the same time as the ingredients may not heat evenly. This same information applies when using a microwave to prepare your dinner.
- Are any of the Bertolli Frozen products Kosher?Click to show answer
We do not currently offer Kosher options.
- What frozen products does Bertolli currently offer?Click to show answer
For complete product information,click here
- Do I need to add meat or vegetables to Bertolli Frozen products?Click to show answer
Each Bertolli Dinner for Two includes vegetables, pasta, sauce, and either chicken, sausage or shrimp.
Bertolli Meal Soups for Two require only one cup of water be added during the cooking process.
Please follow the directions listed on the packaging when preparing.
- Where can I buy Bertolli Frozen products?Click to show answer
You can find Bertolli Frozen products in your local grocer's freezer. Most of our products are available on a national basis. Although we would like each of our products to be available in all stores, shelf space and consumer demand sometimes limit the number of items a retailer is willing to carry. If you are unable to find a certain variety, please try our item locator which can help you locate a nearby store. Just click here.
- Where can I get Bertolli recipes?Click to show answer
You can find some great recipes as well as a wealth of information on our products right here on our website.
Have a different Bertolli Frozen question? Contact Us