Heirloom Tomato Soup With Shrimp & Avocado
by Chef Fabio Viviani
- 5 medium heirloom tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 avocados, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Bertolli® Extra Light™ Tasting Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juicedivided
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 1 lb. uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails on
- 1 Tbsp. Bertolli® Classico™ Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Dash sweet paprika
- Combine half the tomatoes, avocado, red onion, basil, thyme, Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in large bowl; set aside.
- Process remaining tomatoes, vegetable broth and tomato juice in food processor or blender until smooth. Pour into avocado mixture. Season, if desired, with salt and black pepper. Chill, if desired.
- Combine shrimp, Bertolli Classico Olive Oil, red pepper flakes, remaining lemon juice and paprika. Thread shrimp on skewers*. Grill, turning once, 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp from skewers.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with shrimp. Garnish, if desired, with additional fresh basil leaves.
*If using wooden skewers, soak in water at least 30 minutes prior to use.
Recipe courtesy of Fabio Viviani, owner and Executive Chef of Cafe Firenze in Moorpark, California and Firenze Osteria Italian Restaurant and Martini Bar in Toluca Lake, California.
- FULL-PAGE VIEW