Italian Stuffed Artichokes
- 4 large artichokes (about 3 lbs.)
- 5 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs *
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 large garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup Bertolli® Classico™ Olive Oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Prepare artichokes for cooking as directed below; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, 2 cloves garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1/2 cup Olive Oil; toss just until moistened. Gently stuff bread crumb mixture between artichoke leaves.
- In 12-quart nonaluminum saucepot, heat remaining 1/4 cup Olive Oil. Add remaining garlic, then artichokes. Cook 1 minute. Gently pour broth around artichokes. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered, basting occasionally if desired, 2 hours or until leaves are tender and pull out easily.
TO PREPARE ARTICHOKES FOR COOKING: Wash artichokes in cold water; drain. With a large knife, cut stem close to base. Cut off 1/2 inch of top. Remove any discolored lower leaves. If desired, with scissors, cut off sharp leaf tips. *For best flavor and texture, make the fresh bread crumbs using crusty Italian bread.
- FULL-PAGE VIEW